Saturday, June 21, 2014


Fuji X Pro 1 with Fujinon XF 18-55mm/2.8-4.0

My latest aquisition.

Moving away from heavy DSLRs to MFT (Panasonic Lumix GH2) I was looking for second body.
My first intention was to buy a Panasonic GX-7 body but once I had it in my hands at my local camera dealer I kind of didn't feel comfortable holding it at all...

Since I was using my GH2 lately only with the Panasonic 100-300mm lens mounted for bird photography and was looking for a second camera for other purposes I decided that it didn't have to be another MFT body due to the lack of other lenses (which I had sold earlier) and had a look around the store what else there was... .

Tried a few Nexes - didn't like them... ; tried the Samsung NX System and the EOS-M - same effect... 
Then I got my hands on the XE 1 from Fuji together with the 18-55 and was instantly hooked!

But I didn't want to make a decision just yet, so I went back home to get more information about the Fuji X System on the net.
Pretty soon it was clear that I had to have one of those. I compared prices and found a good deal on a XE 1 kit with the 18-55mm and the 55-230mm - when unexpectedly there came an offer of a used X Pro 1 body in mint condition for a killer price, so I didn't hesitate and bought it on the spot!

Now I didn't have a lens yet, so I tried to figure out which one to take. The kit price with the XE 1 was tempting so I thought about getting it and selling the body just to have the two lenses. But then I figured I actually didn't need the longer zoom lens since I was pretty happy with my GH2/100-300mm combination for those purposes.
The decision whether to get the 18-55mm zoom or one or two of the Fuji X primes was made quickly - I chose the zoom because I didn't want to carry around a bag full of lenses. Also, the image stabilizer in the 18-55mm would make up for the larger apertures of the primes.

So I got myself a used XF 18-55mm which arrived two days after my X Pro 1 body.

Having had the 18-55mm in my hands before in the camera shop I didn't realize at first what a marveleous lens this is. When it actually arrived I was totally blown away by the high quality build of it. I had never had a standard zoom kit lens in my hands that was so well built. Amazing!

Since I have had the X Pro 1 I was thinking a lot about if I should get an additional lens like the often praised XF 35mm/1.4, but whenever I go out and take some pictures with my 18-55mm I ask myself, 'why bother'... .

to be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to post you comments and let me know what you think of my blog.