Sunday, July 27, 2014

North Dakota

 

Back in the day...


I recently browsed through my old transparencies and negatives that I took mainly in the 80s and 90s of the last century (man, that sounds weird...).
It's been a long time since I've seen those pictures and I was amazed about how many there are and how many of them I had totally forgotten about.
But I didn't want to get nostalgic but rather find out if it was worth digitizing some of them in order to share them with others over the net.

Since most of them are 6x7 (a few 6x6) medium format, I decided to get a decent flatbed scanner and give it a shot. I opted for the CanoScan 9000F. In terms of a few hundred 35mm slides and negs I decided to put them aside for now and maybe have the best ones printed in 8x10" later in order to scan the prints rather dealing with those small negatives. From all what I hear that's the better solution anyway.
For medium and large format however, a good flatbed scanner will do the job.
After all, it's not about getting them printed later - since I have negatives, I can get those enlarged - but for viewing them on computer screens only.

Since I'm not done scanning all the ones I chose, I will start by showing you a few of them today and adding more from time to time. So don't forget to check back once in a while.
After all, it's not done with the scanning process. the digitized images need to be processed with various tools and often there are many ugly dustpecs on them which require a lot of time to get rid off... .
But in the end the results are quite acceptable. More so, there were several negatives that brought out more detail now then in the days when I enlagerd them in the darkroom... .

Yosemite Valley

Half Dome, Yosemite
 
Bryce Canyon

Bryce Canyon

San Francisco

Shell 
 
Bryce Canyon

San Francisco

Mt. Rainier NP, WA

Wyoming

North Dakota

Mt. Rainier, WA

Glacier NP, MT

Malta

Grand Canyon

Malta

Malta

"Rock" Puget Sound, WA

And here some color scans:

Lake Mead, AZ

North Dakota

New Hampshire

Yoesmite Valley

New Hampshire

Bryce Canyon

Malta

Puget Sound, WA

Mono Lake, NV

Olympic NP, WA

 
to be continued...

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful pictures and a nice article! Looking forward to see some more scans! Danke für den Hinweis im x100 Forum ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot. It's always nice to hear that people like my work. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to post you comments and let me know what you think of my blog.